The extra solar lights sat on the side of the house until today when I was looking at my last DIY project with dismay... It was supposed to be a wine bottle lamp, with a little glass votive hanging inside the wine bottle... It took 30 minutes to drill a hole into the votive and I still had to do the other side, not to mention make 6 of them... I got bored and that project went to the unfinished cemetery (aka the garage under a pile of other unfinished projects).
I realized that the long stainless steel body, under the solar light/glass was hollow so I knew I could drill a hole into it. I drilled on the side that had remenints of the price sticker (because that would be the back side) and I was too lazy to walk 15 feet to get the goo-gone and wipe it off.
The bottom of the solar lights had a cap with a hole in it to accommodate the steak. I'm paranoid about black widows and bugs in general so I thought I'd plug that entry point. In my mind, I picture a bug motel in each light tower.
So I got a plastic cover that was sitting in my recycle bin, traced the cap and made a little seal to close up the hole.
And VIOLA! I now have some cool accents to my bamboo fence, it lights up the yard, it looks pretty and I absolutely LOVE that it's solar!
And just because I'm fascinated with hummingbirds, here's our little friend who comes to visit us throughout the day.
And here's an evening shot of my solar lights re-purposed and fully functional!
I'd call it a successful day today!